Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Valley of Vision

Lord, High and Holy, meek and lowly,
thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see thee in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox

  • that the way down is the way up,
  • that to be low is to be high,
  • that the broken heart is the healed heart,
  • that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
  • that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
  • that to have nothing is to possess all,
  • that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
  • that to give is to receive,
  • that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine;

Let me find thy light in my darkness,
  • thy life in my death,
  • thy joy in my sorrow,
  • thy grace in my sin,
  • thy riches in my poverty,
  • thy glory in my valley.
--from The Valley of Vision:  A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions


No comments:

Post a Comment